Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

We've been using the same fake tree for 12 years. It was starting to look pretty sad. Every year we say "this is the year we will buy a new tree." But then Christmas actually rolls around and we would rather spend the money on gifts and so the tree lives on yet another year. The last few years, we started telling ourselves we would buy one AFTER Christmas, you know, on clearance. But I'm telling you, the last thing you want to spend money on after Christmas is a tree that you can't even use until almost a year later. Brace yourselves folks, this was the year. I am the proud owner of a pre-lit tree and I LOVE IT. And bought all new ornaments to boot! (The burgundy and forest green was feeling a little too dated - not offense if those are your colors). So I went with the most traditional red and green. I figured it never goes out of style and will match nicely with all the tin foil and macaroni ornaments sure to appear in the years to come.



This is the "wreath" I made for this year. It is a giant cardboard letter from JoAnns, wrapped in garland. I added picks and Christmas photos from years past for a little flair.


And this little beauty is the gingerbread bane of my existence.



It took many hours and the "interlocking pieces" is a bunch of hogwash, since none of them stayed together and I ended up having to hot glue every nook and cranny. And the icing on the cake (or should I say the house) is that is has a musical button that plays the absolute most annoying version of Jingle Bells EVER! And there is no off button. Once it's pushed, you have to listen to the whole thing. And it gets pushed at least enough each day to keep me teetering on the edge of insanity. All because of this little face.

4 comments:

Rochelleht said...

You are ambitious. That house looks like a whip!

The tree looks fab!

aurora said...

Love the tree! It is beautiful.

And the gingerbread house is amazing! How about earplugs? Why are some of the cutest things annoying beyond measure??

Jonni Ann said...

Will you come decorate my house next Christmas?

Anonymous said...

I love the new tree, we are facing the same issues with ours and its starting to look like the leaning tower of Pisa!

I love the wreath initial, way cute.